Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"It's deja vu all over again"

Does anyone remember this feeling? It's been awhile. Six years, in fact. Six LONG years. This may be even better than 2003. I would even argue it feels more like 2001, where it was all about the WS titles and not merely beating the Red Sox. I recall the start of the 2003 series feeling anticlimatic, due to the Aaron Boone ALCS victory (and it obviously ended with a similar, if not worse feeling). Suffice to say, I'm pretty over the rivalry. Do not get me wrong, it's always fun to beat them for bragging rights against Brian and Brett, if nothing else. But getting super hyped up for a regular season victory leaves me with a shallow feeling, even against the sox. We could go 0 - 18 against the Sox (we were on track after 9 games this season), but would anyone care if we came out with a WS title? NOOO.. I am back in the mantra that a win over the sox counts as much as it does beating any other division opponent. Important, but no longer does it mean the world to me. Even beating them in the playoffs is not a priority. I could not have cared less who we beat in the ALCS as long as we were still playing tonight. I guess not having Pedro throwing Zimmer to the ground, the Big Poopie or Manny being Manny to loathe shapes my feelings. But you get my point.


-So on to the World Series talk. On a personal note, there is an inter-family rivalry between my mom and myself as she is an avid Phillies fan. And I cant believe we actually got our wish to meet in the WS. In fact, we're headed to Game 5 (if necessary) upon my request - I wanted to experience a new ball park, and for her to not deal with any taunting. What a good son I am. Citizens Bank will actually be my 9th MLB ballpark.**

-Both lineups are stacked, both teams have a flare for the dramatic, the bullpens are solid but unpredictable so far (minus Mo). So it comes down the starting pitching. That said, I've got the yanks in 6. Here is why:



Game 1: Lee vs. CC ->

Toss up, so clearly I hope the Yanks get the better end of this one. 1 - 0 either way


Game 2: Pedro vs. Burnett

The most intriguing game. There is no shot that Pedro will shut the yanks down AT YANKE STADIUM no less. Look for a very crooked number sometime between the 4th and 6th inning after the yanks see him a second and third time. However, there are two things working against us here: Its AJ Burnett on the hill. You can get a gem or a dud and be not surprises either way and its October, where anything can happen. We'll have a better idea of what Games 5-6-7 will be after Game 2.

Game 3: Pettitte vs. Hamels

I think the yanks take this one. Hamels has not been very effective this post season as he hasn't made it through 6 innings yet in his three starts. I think he's battling some sort of injury??? It looks like last year's workload did a number on him this year. He's done. Yanks up 2 - 1 at this point or 3 - 0 at this point depending on Game 1.

Game 4: CC vs. Lee x2

Again a toss up. I'm going to take the safe route and say that whoever won game 1 will probably lose this one. Something to mention - I'm not sure of Lee's numbers on short rest, but anyone who watched last year knows what CC can do on 3 days rest, ESPECIALLY since he's been well rested down the stretch of the season and playoffs. Series 3 - 1


Game 5/6: Burnett/Gaudin/Pettitte vs. Blanton, Pedro, Happ, Meyers?

The yankees look pretty tough to beat for the first four games, but it gets pretty fuzzy once you have guys like Burnett/Pettitte going on short rest/Gaudin starting. My feeling is that Girardi will start AJ on longer rest (game 6) if he pitches well into game 2, and they'll pitch him in game 5 if he only lasts only a few innings and hav Pettitte pitch Game 6. Gotta remember also that AJs track record indicates he'll be fine on short rest. But either way I see them wrapping it up here in 6 games.

**old Yankee, new Yankee, Citi Field, Fenway Park, Coors Field, Petco Park, Dodger Stadium, SafeCo Field, Citizens Bank Ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment